Acknowledging the capacity of the Jones’ Road sports ground a reporter and GAA member, Frank Dineen, borrowed much of the ₤ 3,250 asking cost and bought the ground in 1908. In 1913 the GAA entered into exclusive ownership of the plot when they acquired it from Dineen for ₤ 3,500.
The ground was then renamed Croke Park in honour of Archbishop Thomas Croke, among the GAA’s first patrons. In 1913, Croke Park had only two stands on what is now referred to as the Hogan stand side and grassy banks all round. In 1917, a grassy hill was built on the railway end of Croke Park to afford patrons a much better view of the pitch. This terrace was known originally as Hill 60, later renamed Hill 16 in memory of the 1916 Easter Rising.
It is erroneously believed to have actually been constructed from the ruins of the GPO, when it was constructed the previous year in 1915. Croke Park is a Gaelic games stadium situated in Dublin, Ireland. Called after Archbishop Thomas Croke, it is in some cases called Croker by GAA fans and residents. It works as both the principal stadium and headquarters of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA). Since 1891 the website has been used by the GAA to host Gaelic sports, consisting of the yearly All-Ireland in Gaelic football and hurling. We’re a roof repair service near croke park, Dublin.
Significant growth and redevelopment of the stadium ranged from 1991- 2005, raising capacity to its current 82,300 spectators. This makes Croke Park the third-largest stadium in Europe, and the biggest not normally used for association football. Other events held at the stadium include the opening and closing events of the 2003 Unique Olympics, and many musical concerts. In 2012, Irish pop group Westlife sold out the stadium in record-breaking time: less than 5 minutes. From 2007– 10, Croke Park hosted house matches of the Ireland nationwide rugby union team and the Republic of Ireland national football team, while their brand-new Aviva Stadium was built.
This use of Croke Park for non-Gaelic sports was controversial and required short-lived modifications to GAA rules. In June 2012, the stadium hosted the closing ceremony of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress throughout which Pope Benedict XVI provided an address over video link.
From Croke Park, Jones’ Rd, Drumcondra, Dublin 3 to Home Improvements Dublin at Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin via Malahide Rd/R107 Route
- 20 min (10.2 km)
- Head north on St Joseph’s Ave toward Clonliffe Rd/R131
- 34 s (110 m)
- Take Malahide Rd/R107 and R123 to Moyne Rd in Fingal
- 19 min (10.0 km)
- Turn right onto Clonliffe Rd/R131
- 400 m
- Turn left onto Luke Kelly Bridge/R803
- Continue to follow R803
- 500 m
- Merge onto Fairview/R105
- Continue to follow R105
- 450 m
- Slight left onto Malahide Rd/R107
- 4.7 km
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on Malahide Rd/R107
- 1.5 km
- Turn right onto Balgriffin Cottages/R123
- Continue to follow R123
- 2.4 km
- Turn right onto Moyne Rd
- Destination will be on the right
- 43 s (71 m)
Learn more about Dublin Airport.