Dublin Castle was first founded as a significant defensive work by Meiler Fitzhenry on the orders of King John of England in 1204, at some point after the Norman intrusion of Ireland in 1169, when it was commanded that a castle be constructed with strong walls and great ditches for the defence of the city, the administration of justice, and the protection of the King’s treasure.
Mostly total by 1230, the castle was of common Norman yard design, with a main square without a keep, bounded on all sides by high defensive walls and protected at each corner by a circular tower. Sited to the south-east of Norman Dublin, the castle formed one corner of the outer perimeter of the city, using the River Poddle as a natural ways of defence along 2 of its sides.
The city wall straight abutted the castle’s northeast Powder Tower, extending north and westwards around the city prior to rejoining the castle at its southwestern Bermingham Tower In 1620 the English-born judge Luke Gernon was greatly impressed by the wall: “a big and mighty wall, foursquare, and of extraordinary thickness”. We’re recommended roofers near Dublin Castle.
Dublin Castle is a significant Irish federal government complex, conference centre, and tourist attraction. It is located off Dame Street in Dublin. Up until 1922 it was the seat of the British federal government’s administration in Ireland. Most of the current building and construction dates from the 18th century, though a castle has actually based on the website since the days of King John, the very first Lord of Ireland. The Castle functioned as the seat of English, then later on British, government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland (1171– 1541), the Kingdom of Ireland (1541– 1800), and the UK of Great Britain and Ireland (1800– 1922).
After the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921, the complex was ceremonially handed over to the newly formed Provisional Government led by Michael Collins. It now hosts the inauguration of each President of Ireland and numerous State receptions. The castle was constructed by the dark pool (” Dubh Linn”) which offered Dublin its name. This pool lies on the lower course of the River Poddle before its confluence with the River Liffey; when the castle was developed, the Liffey was much larger, and the castle was successfully safeguarded by both rivers. The Poddle today runs under the complex. The castle consists of towers at two corners; other towers that as soon as existed are gone without trace.
The base of the original Bermingham Tower is one of the few remaining parts of the original castle. At the southwest corner of the castle, the tower has a modern-day upper part. It is unclear which member of the De Bermingham household the tower was named for; maybe William or Walter or John or Sir Walter.
The Record Tower at the southeast corner is another original part of the castle. It hosted the Garda Museum till its 2017 relaunch in the Treasury Building.
From Home Improvements Dublin at Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin to Dublin Castle, Dame St, Dublin 2 via Malahide Rd/R107
- 30 min (12.9 km)
- Home Improvements Dublin – Roof Repairs Dublin
- Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin
- Head west on Moyne Rd toward R123
- 19 s (71 m)
- Continue on R123. Take Malahide Rd/R107 and R105 to Fishamble St in Dublin
- 27 min (12.4 km)
- Continue on Fishamble St. Take Lord Edward St/R137 to Cork Hill
- 2 min (400 m)
Learn more about EPIC, The Irish Emigration Museum In Dublin.