Dublin Zoo

The Royal Zoological Society of Dublin was established at a meeting held at the Rotunda Healthcare Facility on 10 May 1830 and the zoo, then called the Zoological Gardens Dublin, was opened to the general public on 1 September 1831. The animals, 46 mammals and 72 birds, were contributed by London Zoo. We offer roofing services near Dublin Zoo.

Original lodge house of 1833, situated at Dublin Zoo entrance. Initial Zoo Lodge, built in 1833. The preliminary entry charge per person was sixpence, which was a substantial sum at the time and restricted admission to reasonably wealthy middle-class people. What made Dublin Zoo really various from a few of its contemporaries was a decision to minimize the charge to one penny on Sundays. This made a day at the zoo something that almost every Dubliner could afford every so often and it became very popular.

In 1833, the original cottage-style entryway lodge to the zoo was constructed at an expense of ₤ 30. The thatch-roofed building is still noticeable to the right of the existing entrance. In 1838, to celebrate Queen Victoria’s crowning, the zoo held an open day – 20,000 individuals visited, which is still the highest number of visitors in one day. President of the United States Ulysses S. Grant (after leaving office) was among the celebs who pertained to see Dublin’s world-famous lions in the 19th century. The first cafés were built in 1898. In 1844 the zoo got its first giraffe, and in 1855 it bought its first set of lions. These spread for the first time in 1857. Reptiles got their own house in 1876.

Dublin Zoo, in Phoenix Park, Dublin, is a zoo in Ireland, and among Dublin’s most popular tourist attractions. Established and created in 1830 by Decimus Burton, it opened the list below year. The zoo explains its role as conservation, research study, and education. Its stated mission is to “operate in partnership with zoos worldwide to make a substantial contribution to the conservation of the endangered types on Earth”.

Covering over 28 hectares (69 acres) of Phoenix Park, it is divided into areas called Asian Forests, Orangutan Forest, The Kaziranga Forest Trail, Fringes of the Arctic, Sea Lion Cove, African Plains, Roberts House, House of Reptiles, City Farm and South American House.

From Home Improvements Dublin at Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin to Dublin Zoo, Saint James’ (part of Phoenix Park), Dublin 8 via M50 Route

  • 28 min (21.9 km)
  • Head west on Moyne Rd toward R123
  • 19 s (71 m)
  • Continue on R123. Take R139 and M50 to Chesterfield Ave in Dublin
  • 21 min (18.4 km)
  • Turn left onto Moyne Rd/R123
  • Continue to follow R123
  • 2.4 km
  • Turn left onto Malahide Rd/R107
  • 700 m
  • Turn right onto R139
  • 2.7 km
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on R139
  • 600 m
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the E01 ramp to Ó Dheas/Southbound/M50
  • 350 m
  • Merge onto E01
  • 98 m
  • Continue onto E01/M50
  • 8.9 km
  • At junction 6, Use the left lane to take the N3 exit to Cavan/Blanchardstown
  • 240 m
  • Use the middle lane to keep right at the fork and follow signs for N3/City centre/Castleknock
  • 350 m
  • At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Navan Rd
  • 97 m
  • Keep left, follow signs for Castleknock
  • 270 m
  • Turn right onto Dunsink Ln/R102 (signs for Castleknock)
  • 54 m
  • Continue onto Auburn Ave
  • Go through 1 roundabout
  • 1.0 km
  • Turn left onto Castleknock Rd/R806
  • 700 m
  • Drive to Chesterfield Ave in Dublin City
  • 5 min (3.4 km)
  • Slight right onto Chesterfield Ave
  • Go through 1 roundabout
  • 1.9 km
  • At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit and stay on Chesterfield Ave
  • 1.5 km

Learn more about Dublin Castle.

 

Call Now Button