Ha’penny Bridge Dublin

The Ha’penny Bridge, known later for a time as the Penny Ha’penny Bridge, and officially the Liffey Bridge, is a pedestrian bridge integrated in May 1816 over the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland. Made from cast iron, the bridge was cast in Shropshire, England.

Initially called the Wellington Bridge (after the Dublin-born Duke of Wellington), the name of the bridge altered to Liffey Bridge. The Liffey Bridge stays the bridge’s main name to this day, although it is most commonly referred to as the Ha’penny Bridge.
Before the Ha’penny Bridge was developed there were 7 ferries, run by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was notified that he needed to either fix them or develop a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was approved the right to extract a ha’penny toll from anybody crossing it for 100 years.

Initially the toll charge was based not on the cost of building, but to match the charges imposed by the ferries it changed. A further condition of construction was that, if the residents of Dublin found the bridge and toll to be “objectionable” within its very first year of operation, it was to be eliminated at no cost to the city. (https://homeimprovementsdublin.ie/)

The toll was increased for a time to a penny-ha’penny (1 1/2 pence), however was ultimately dropped in 1919. While the toll was in operation, there were gates at either end of the bridge.

The manufacture of the bridge was commissioned by the then Lord Mayor of Dublin, John Claudius Beresford with the Coalbrookdale Company of England. Using ore initially mined in County Leitrim’s Sliabh an Iarainn, the bridge’s cast iron ribs were made in 18 areas and then delivered to Dublin. The style and erection was supervised by John Windsor, one of the company’s foremen and a pattern-maker.


From Ha’penny Bridge, Bachelors Walk, Temple Bar, Dublin to Home Improvements Dublin, Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin Via Malahide Rd/R107 Route

  • 26 min (11.9 km)
  • Follow R105, Malahide Rd/R107 and R123 to Moyne Rd in Fingal
  • 24 min (11.8 km)
  • Head east on Bachelors Walk/R148 toward Litton Ln
  • 270 m
  • Continue onto Eden Quay/R105
  • 300 m
  • Use any lane to turn left onto Beresford Pl/R105/R802
  • Continue to follow Beresford Pl/R105
  • 240 m
  • Continue straight onto Amiens St/R105
  • Continue to follow R105
  • 1.6 km
  • Continue onto Annesley Bridge Rd
  • 300 m
  • Continue onto Fairview/R105
  • Continue to follow R105
  • 450 m
  • Slight left onto Malahide Rd/R107
  • 4.7 km
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on Malahide Rd/R107
  • 1.5 km
  • Turn right onto Balgriffin Cottages/R123
  • Continue to follow R123
  • 2.4 km
  • Turn right onto Moyne Rd
  • Destination will be on the right
  • 43 s (71 m)

 

Learn more about Kilmainham Gaol.

 

 

Call Now Button