When it was first built in 1796, Kilmainham Gaol was called the “New Gaol” to distinguish it from the old prison it was meant to change– a noisome dungeon, simply a few hundred metres from today site. It was officially called the County of Dublin Gaol, and was originally run by the Grand Jury for County Dublin.
Initially, public hangings happened at the front of the jail. However, from the 1820s onward really few hangings, public or private, happened at Kilmainham. A small hanging cell was built in the jail in 1891. It is located on the very first floor, in between the west wing and the east wing.
There was no partition of prisoners; men, females and kids were put behind bars as high as 5 in each cell, with only a single candle light for light and heat. The majority of their time was spent in the cold and the dark, and each candle had to last for 2 weeks. Its cells were roughly 28 square metres in location. Children were sometimes apprehended for petty theft, the youngest stated to be a seven-year-old child, while many of the adult prisoners were transferred to Australia.
Kilmainham Gaol (https://homeimprovementsdublin.ie/) is a former jail in Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland. It is now a museum run by the Office of Public Works, an agency of the Government of Ireland. Numerous Irish revolutionaries, including the leaders of the 1916 Easter Increasing, were sent to prison and executed in the prison by the orders of the UK Government.
From Kilmainham Gaol, Inchicore Rd, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, D08 RK28 to Home Improvements Dublin at Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin Vi via M50
- 26 min (25.7 km)
- Take Chapelizod Bypass/R148, M50 and R139 to Moyne Rd in Fingal
- 24 min (25.7 km)
- Head west on Inchicore Rd/R839
- 500 m
- Turn right onto Memorial Rd/R839
- 110 m
- Turn left at the 1st cross street onto Chapelizod Bypass/Con Colbert Rd/R148
- Continue to follow Chapelizod Bypass/R148
- 4.6 km
- Use the left lane to merge onto M50 via the ramp to Airport/Dublin Port
- Toll road
- 13.6 km
- Use the right lane to take the exit toward R139
- 350 m
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto R139
- 700 m
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on R139
- 2.7 km
- Turn left onto Malahide Rd/R107
- 700 m
- Turn right onto Balgriffin Cottages/R123
- Continue to follow R123
- 2.4 km
- Turn right onto Moyne Rd
- Destination will be on the right
- 43 s (71 m)
Learn more about the Irish Whiskey Museum