The National Botanic Gardens (https://homeimprovementsdublin.ie/) is a botanical garden, situated in Glasnevin, 5 km north-west of Dublin city centre, Ireland. The 19.5 hectares are situated between Glasnevin Cemetery and the River Tolka where it forms part of the river’s floodplain.
The gardens were founded in 1795 by the Dublin Society (later on the Royal Dublin Society) and are today in State ownership through the Office of Public Works. They hold around 20,000 living plants and numerous millions of dried plant specimens. There are several architecturally noteworthy greenhouses. Today the Glasnevin website is the headquarters of the National Botanic Gardens of Ireland which has a satellite garden and arboretum at Kilmacurragh in County Wicklow.
The gardens participate in national and global initiatives for biodiversity preservation and sustainable development. The Director, Dr. Matthew Jebb, is likewise Chairman of PlantNetwork: The Plant Collections Network of Britain and Ireland. It is Ireland’s seventh most checked out attraction, and the 2nd most visited complimentary attraction.
The poet Thomas Tickell owned a home and small estate in Glasnevin and, in 1795, they were offered to the Irish Parliament and provided to the Royal Dublin Society for them to establish Ireland’s very first botanic gardens. A double line of yew trees, known as “Addison’s Walk” makes it through from this duration. The original function of the gardens was to advance understanding of plants for agricultural, medical and dyeing purposes. The gardens were the very first place in Ireland where the infection responsible for the 1845– 1847 potato famine was determined. Throughout the famine, research to stop the infection was carried out at the gardens.
Walter Wade and John Underwood, the first Director and Superintendent respectively, carried out the design of the gardens, however, when Wade passed away in 1825, they declined for some years. From 1834, Director Ninian Nivan brought brand-new life into the gardens, carrying out some redesign. This programme of change and advancement continued with the following Directors into the late 1960s.
Wittgenstein plaque in the Palm House. The gardens were placed into federal government care in 1877. In the winter of 1948/9 Ludwig Wittgenstein lived and worked in Ireland. He frequently pertained to the Palm Home to sit and compose. There is a plaque commemorating him on the steps he sat on.
From Home Improvements Dublin at Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin to National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin 9, D09 VY63 via R139 Route
- 20 min (12.7 km)
- Head west on Moyne Rd toward R123
- 19 s (71 m)
- Continue on R123. Take R139, M50 and N1 to Botanic Ave in Drumcondra, Dublin
- 18 min (12.4 km)
- Turn left onto Moyne Rd/R123
- Continue to follow R123
- 2.4 km
- Turn left onto Malahide Rd/R107
- 700 m
- Turn right onto R139
- 2.7 km
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on R139
- 600 m
- At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto the M1 ramp to City Centre/Dublin Port
- 350 m
- Merge onto M1
- 150 m
- Continue onto M50
- 1.2 km
- Use the left 2 lanes to take the N1 exit toward City Centre/Dublin Port
- 290 m
- Continue onto N1
- 2.2 km
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Griffith Ave/R102
- 1.0 km
- Turn left onto St Mobhi Rd/R108
- 800 m
- Continue on Botanic Ave. Drive to Bóthar Gharraithe Na Lus
- 1 min (300 m)
- Turn right onto Botanic Ave
- 170 m
- Turn left onto Bóthar Gharraithe Na Lus
- 130 m
Learn more about Christ Church Cathedral