Phoenix Park Dublin

The Phoenix Park (https://homeimprovementsdublin.ie/) is an urban park in Dublin, Ireland, lying 2– 4 km west of the city centre, north of the River Liffey. Its 11 km perimeter wall encloses 707 hectares (1,750 acres); it is one of the largest enclosed leisure spaces within any European capital city. It includes large areas of grassland and tree-lined opportunities, and since the 17th century has been home to a herd of wild fallow deer. The English name comes from the Irish fionn uisce meaning “clear water”. The Irish Government is lobbying UNESCO to have actually the park designated as a world heritage site.

After the Normans conquered Dublin and its hinterland in the 12th century, Hugh Tyrrel, 1st Baron of Castleknock, approved a big location of land, including what now consists of the Phoenix Park, to the Knights Hospitaller. They developed an abbey at Kilmainham on the site now inhabited by Royal Health center Kilmainham. The knights lost their lands in 1537 following the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII of England. Eighty years later on the lands went back to the ownership of the King’s agents in Ireland.

On the restoration of Charles II of England, his Viceroy in Dublin, the Duke of Ormond, established a royal searching park on the land in 1662. It contained pheasants and wild deer, making it necessary to enclose the entire area with a wall.
The park initially included the demesne of Kilmainham Priory south of the River Liffey. When the structure of the Royal Hospital at Kilmainham began in 1680 for making use of veterans of the Royal Irish Army, the park was decreased to its present size, all of which is now north of the river. It was opened to individuals of Dublin by the Earl of Chesterfield in 1745.

In the 19th century the expanse of the Park had ended up being overlooked. With management being taken over by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, the distinguished English Landscape architect, Decimus Burton, was maintained to develop a general plan for the general public locations of the park. The execution of the strategy that included new paths, gate-lodges, levelling and tree planting and transferring the Phoenix Column, took practically 20 years to finish. See particularly the architecturally substantial, “Chapelized” Gate Lodge.

From Phoenix Park, Northside, Dublin 8 to Home Improvements Dublin at Moyne Park, 1, Maynetown, Dublin via M50 Route

  • 28 min (23.0 km)
  • Follow Chesterfield Ave to Castleknock Rd/R806
  • 7 min (4.2 km)
  • Head northwest on Chesterfield Ave
  • 500 m
  • At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Chesterfield Ave
  • 1.8 km
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on Chesterfield Ave
  • Go through 1 roundabout
  • 1.9 km
  • Take M50, R139 and R123 to Moyne Rd
  • 20 min (18.7 km)
  • Chesterfield Ave turns slightly left and becomes Castleknock Rd/R806
  • 700 m
  • Turn right onto Auburn Ave
  • Go through 1 roundabout
  • 1.0 km
  • Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Navan Rd/N3
  • 350 m
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the M50 ramp to Nortbound/Airport/Dublin Port
  • 1.1 km
  • Merge onto M50
  • 8.7 km
  • Use the right lane to take the exit toward R139
  • 350 m
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto R139
  • 700 m
  • At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on R139
  • 2.7 km
  • Turn left onto Malahide Rd/R107
  • 700 m
  • Turn right onto Balgriffin Cottages/R123
  • Continue to follow R123
  • 2.4 km
  • Turn right onto Moyne Rd
  • Destination will be on the right
  • 43 s (71 m)

Learn more about National Museum of Ireland Archaeology

 

 

Call Now Button